Yesterday I was helping a colleague of mine setting up her SharePoint 2007 virtual machine, and at one point she needed to make some changes in Central Administration. Problem was, when she clicked the "OK" (or "Cancel") buttons after having put in her new settings nothing happened. No page load, no error, no nothing.
A colleague of mine, lets call him Jereme, came across this and he suggested I post it on my blog, so here goes. One of his clients where having issues with one of their search scopes. Whenever a user would try to do a search with one of the custom scopes, they would receive an error saying "Your search cannot be completed because of a service error. Try your search again or contact your administrator for more information.". It only occurred with this one search scope.
I just came across this error when activating a feature with a list template and list instance. Basically I hit the Activate button and was greeted by this less than friendly error message. If you've read my previous post on troubleshooting errors in SharePoint, you'll know that the first thing I did was to crack open the tracelogs.
I just ran into an issue that I'm pretty sure I also had about a year ago, but failed to write down then. I guess I'll have to write it down this time. I'm creating a custom list definition and after I deployed the solution and instantiated the list I got an error saying "Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource.", even though the permissions is set to inherit and I am the site owner and have full control.
Troubleshooting deployment errors in Sharepoint can sometimes be frustrating. Often you get some cryptic error and a inspiring message to "Please try again" when trying again really isn't going to make much of a difference.